Thursday, March 24, 2011

Toy Story

This was the very first Pixar movie, and boy did they nail it.  Who would have thought that a movie about toys who could walk and talk would be so popular?  But Toy Story is successful because it's very clever, and it's also quite emotional.  They may be toys, but we can certainly relate to them and the things that they are feeling.

It's funny because I always find myself tearing up at the part where Buzz comes along and Woody suddenly feels so neglected and rejected.  And while those emotions feel so real in this movie, it's hard to remember that they're just toys - and then I feel guilty because I know I did the same thing at some point when I was younger, and we have all done it!  But it feels real because we can relate those feelings to our relationships with people, and growing up and leaving other things or people behind.  This all comes together extremely well in the two follow up movies - to be discussed later!

In terms of plot for this one, it's just so good.  Everything from the birthday party and the toys with their plan to find out what the presents are, to the trip to Pizza Planet, to Sid's house, is extremely entertaining.  The characters are also highly entertaining, as each has his or her own fun personality.  Gotta love Mr. Potato Head!

I think that Jason and I will forever be engaged in the Woody vs. Buzz debate.  You see, he is a Buzz fan, and I'm a Woody fan.  He likes Buzz better because he thinks he is nicer, and a better person (or toy).  I like Woody because I think he's more relatable.  As much as I might not want to admit it, I'm probably more like Woody than Buzz.  I would certainly get jealous if someone took my place, and though I may not do the things that Woody does, I would probably be thinking them.  He may not be perfect, but he's fiercely loyal and determined.  Buzz is annoying and kinda dumb sometimes.  But that's my opinion :)  Honestly, I love them both.

The Music
Pixar movies aren't really musicals, with the characters singing and dancing, but like any movie they do have music in them.  The big song from this one is "You've got a Friend in Me," and it's absolutely perfect for this movie.  It's a great song, works well, and it's so catchy.  Everyone knows it.

The Villain
Though Woody and Buzz get into a few tiffs and are seemingly enemies at first, the real villain here is Sid.  And boy, is he evil!  I mean seriously, that is one messed up kid - I'm sure he'll turn out to be a serial killer.  He takes pleasure in destroying, mutilating, and blowing up toys.  He's just completely maniacal and insane, and he scares me.

The WDW Connection
Toy Story is huge in Disney, and it's one of the only movies to actually have two extremely popular and featured rides.  In Magic Kingdom you can try out Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, a fun arcade style shooting game.  Hollywood Studios is home to a brand new ride called Toy Story Mania.  In this ride you play arcade style games, but everything is virtual and you wear 3D glasses (I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds really cool!).  In Disney Quest in Downtown Disney there's a bumper car ride with a Toy Story theme.  They also have one restaurant - Hollywood Studios is home to Pizza Planet.

Becky's rating:  9.5 out of 10
Jason's rating:  9.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment